The Gallusweg (Gallus Trail) starts at the Arbon train station. You can see the Gallus stone with the footprints of the monk on display in the Gallus chapel. The route continues along the banks of Lake Constance to the village of Steinach and then through meadows and woodlands along the Steinach River.
After the impressive section through the Galgen Ravine, you reach the city of St.Gallen, or to be more precise, the district of Neudorf. From here, beautiful streets take you to the heart of the city, to the beginning of the Mühlenen Gorge where, following his fall into a thorn bush and encounter with a bear in the year 612, Gallus founded his hermitage, thus laying the foundation for the city and canton of St.Gallen. The trail then leads through the picturesque streets of the old town and past the Abbey District of St.Gallen to the main train station, the final destination of this hike.
Tips and hints
A bus also runs from St.Gallen Neudorf to the St.Gallen train station.
No. 1, direction of Winkeln
No. 4, direction of Wolfganghof
No. 7, direction of Abtwil
No. 11, direction of the St.Gallen train station
Getting thereComing from St.Gallen: A1 direction of Kreuzlingen Arbon. Exit at Arbon Süd.
ParkingPaid parking at train station / harbour
EquipmentSturdy footwear is recommended.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.