Laugther, hiking and unique views over Lake Constance
Distance 8 km
For over 20 years, this trail has been putting visitors in good spirits. And there’s a good reason for that. The «Witzweg» or «joke trail» starts in Heiden and passes through Wolfhalden, ending in Walzenhausen. The trail charms hikers with stunning panoramic views over Lake Constance and the Appenzeller Vorderland. «Joke stations» along the way invite them to have a break and a chuckle. So what’s Appenzell humour all about? You’ll find out on the trail. It’s a Swiss classic.
The hike on the joke trail quickly becomes a leisurely and inexpensive adventure tour: you can explore the unique Appenzellerland above Lake Constance with two mountain railways, a post bus and a boat. The round trip by boat is possible from May to mid-October.
Rest StopZur Fernsicht guest house
Café im Glück
Linde Hotel cooperative, Heiden
Klus fire pit
Eichenbach fire pit
Gambrinus pizzeria and guest house
Meyerhans bakery and pastry shop
Tips and hintsDetailed timetables and travel suggestions on www.erlebnisrundfahrt.ch
Getting thereFrom St. Margareten on the B7 to Rheineck, further left via Lutzenberg and Wolfhalden to Heiden
ParkingParking at Heiden railway station
32T 540441 5254848
EquipmentComfortable hiking boots or trainers, weather-resistent clothes
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view