Enjoy the Höri with all your senses: The “Radishes, onions and lettuce” gourmet bike trip introduces you to scenic and culinary highlights on the Höri peninsula. For centuries now, Höri farmers have been providing radishes, onions and lettuce to the markets of the region. The bike route runs along fields whose crops farmers sell by the roadside. The Höri-Bülle is especially popular—it’s a local type of onion, light reddish-brown in color, that grows only here and is a protected specialty throughout Europe. The natural shoreline of Lake Constance remains in view along the entire trip.
Distance 19 km
The parking lot at the Horn Campground is an ideal starting point for this gourmet bike trip—you can rent bikes there, too. The first gourmet stop is the Seehörnle Hotel, located at the edge of the nature reserve, where you can energize yourself for the trip with bikers’ tapas. Then ride along the nature reserve to Iznang. You’ll find local farmers offering their fruit and vegetables from stalls set up along the roadside. The trip takes you past Albin Lang’s fish store (fresh and smoked catch from the lake) and Höri’s vegetable fields to Moos, where Hubert Neidhart will serve his fish soup at the Grüner Baum restaurant. Afterwards you can quench your thirst with fresh spring water from the Bettnang fountain. Continue to the Horn water tower, where you’ll have a fantastic panoramic view across the western end of Lake Constance with the Mettnau peninsula to the island of Reichenau and the Thurgau Seerücken. In the Hirschen Restaurant courtyard, the maître d’hote will spoil you with salad à la Höri and specialty sliced beef. Behind the Horn church, the trail leads you along old farmers’ gardens down to the Hornstaad Schlössli castle. Sit back and enjoy your scrumptious Höri dessert on the lakeside deck. You can book this gourmet bike trip online via the Gaienhofen tourism bureau.
Information and booking: Gaienhofen tourism bureau, Im Kohlgarten 2, D-78343 Gaienhofen, phone 07735-818-23, http://www.gaienhofen.de/Tourismus
For lake lovers: Twice a week (Thursdays and Sundays) at 3:55 p.m. the MS Seestern departs from Hornstaad for a trip around the Lower Lake Constance.
Tips and hints
32T 499657 5281654
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view