The route starts on Lake Constance in Arbon. The Möhl distillation and juice museum shows how sweet cidre is made. Near Roggwil we wind along a green ridge past the mighty fortified tower of the Mammertshofen Castle.
We follow a main road from Wittenbach to the Abbey District of St.Gallen, passing a densely populated area to reach Herisau, the main hamlet of Appenzell-Ausserrhoden, which has managed to retain its village character.
The next challenge is to conquer the foothills of the Säntis mountain, a green rolling landscape with scattered farmhouses, mostly dairy and fruit farms. The route passes through apple and pear orchards, continuing up to Schwellbrunn at 1000 m, then down again into the deep, rugged canyon of the Necker (750 m). The next ascent to over 1000 m is rewarded at the top of the hill with the pretty houses of Hemberg and a panoramic view of the Säntis and Toggenburg mountains.
Getting thereA1 from St.Gallen to Rorschach, exit at Meggenhus in the direction of Arbon.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.